Might I be so bold as to suggest that campaigns are not won on the internet? I am glad we have it because my mobility is challenged to say the least and it is a way for me to keep in touch and help out the only way that I can. But my greatest offerings to the movement have been some personal insight into the way the Republican party works and how campaigns are won. To that end in the last cycle, I published a strategic piece about us becoming the Republican party here if you want to read for background.
This cycle we are ahead in some ways and behind in others. We are still raising money and have a rather sophisticated internet presence. We are not significantly and effectively taking leadership roles in the Republican party and organizing our own precincts and counties for the long haul. Yes I mean during and beyond a Republican administration. It takes consistent plodding focused efforts to be a precinct chair, organize block captains, make phone calls, and get out important timely information to people who will show up on election days and at precinct and caucus meetings. Let’s get out there and meet our neighbors and build the Republican party with fiscal and social conservatives all blended together and working for limited Constitutional government with a grassroots orientation.
So step by step here is the plan of action:
- Register to vote Republican
- Sign up for email with your county/state Republican party efforts
- Volunteer to help and find out your precinct chair
- Contact your precinct chair and ask if you can be a block captain (or volunteer to be a precinct chair if there is not one already)
- Get to know the people on your block and get phone numbers and emails of people who want to keep in touch/share information
- When you complete your block, then ask your precinct chair if he/she neesd help with another one nearby
- Expand your efforts until precinct/county/state is done and you have a network for keeping in touch with people who care about issues that matter
- Keep your network informed about important hearings and meetings
- Recruit candidates who share your values from your community (people with moral values and constitutional understanding that you know)
- Help elect said candidates to office and keep challenging them to reduce government
This is very simply how we win by returning to limited Constitutional government! It is how we restore the Republic!
[PS This is also how you build your network to the point that your precinct/county friends will make you a delegate
because you built the party from the grassroots up with people of principle and you treated everyone fairly in the process]
Note: As most of you know and in the spirit of full disclosure, I support Ron Paul for president. I have published this recommendation on the Ron Paul Forums here with slightly different wording. If he is not the parties nominee this cycle, it will not change this plan and in fact makes it all the more important. We must do the work of the party in order to get to pick the leaders of the party and set the policy aright for the party. We must support people who support truly limited government concepts and people who actually have moral values in order to get the job done.
Other articles on political activism:
Crossposted on OKgrassroots